Ford Motor Co., Ford, Ont., Canada



(Click to View Larger Image)
Ford Motor Co., Ford, Ont., Canada
Publisher: Windsor News Co.
Date: 1928
Type(s): Postcard
Language: English
Identifier(s): 117772; 72
Notes: c.1928; "This plant, situated on the Detroit river, is the largest automobile factory in the British Empire. More than 10,000 men are employed in this factory. Automobiles manufactured here are shipped to all parts of the United Kingdom. The plant is equipped with excellent transportation facilities, including rail and steamship accommodations."; this factory, known as Plant 1, was built between 1912-1914 on reclaimed land; it was expanded in the 1920s (? compare this image with the similar Valentine postcard c. 1920); it closed in 1950 and was demolished in 1969/1970; the Ford powerhouse between Sandwich Street (now Riverside Drive) and Wyandotte Street was designed by Albert Kahn and built in 1922.
Subject(s): Ford Motor Company of Canada (Windsor)
Factories
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Ford City (Ontario)
Detroit River
Ships
Wyandotte Street (Windsor)
Kahn, Albert, Architect
Waterfront (Windsor)
Place(s): Ford City (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image