Dominion Public Building, Windsor, Ont., Canada, 1935



(Click to View Larger Image)
Dominion Public Building, Windsor, Ont., Canada, 1935
Publisher: Windsor News Co. Ltd.
Date: 1935
Type(s): Postcard
Language: English
Identifier(s): 135613
Notes: c. 1935; "Dominion Public Building; in this building built by the Dominion Government, the various government offices are located: the Post Office, Customs Department, Department of Pensions, National Health, Income Tax Department, and Mounted Police"; the Dominion Public Building is on the west side of Ouellette Avenue between Pitt Street West and Chatham Street West; it was designed by John Edward Trace of Sheppard, Masson, And Trace, Architects; it was begun in 1932 and completed in 1934; the Post Office was on the ground floor; The Dominion Public Building is now known as the Paul Martin Building; the reddish building on the north side of Chatham Street West housed a variety of businesses, including the offices of the architects (in 1934) and the Equity Chambers; originally, this building was the Grinnell Brothers Company (piano makers); on the northwest corner of Ouellette Avenue and Pitt Street West, the Laing Building (part of the Norwich Block) is visible.
Subject(s): Dominion Public Building (Windsor)
Paul Martin Building (Windsor)
Ouellette Avenue (Windsor)
Chatham Street (Windsor)
Pitt Street (Windsor)
Commercial Buildings
Government Buildings
Trace, John Edward, Architect
Sheppard, Masson, and Trace, Architects
Equity Chambers (Windsor)
Laing Building (Windsor)
Norwich Block (Windsor)
Post Office (Windsor)
Grinnell Brothers Company, Pianos (Windsor)
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image