Gates To The Service Drive For Elmcroft, Hiram H. Walker's Estate


(Click to View Larger Image)
Gates To The Service Drive For Elmcroft, Hiram H. Walker's Estate
Date: 1945
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w; 17x12 cm
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 07-011 1059 PP
Source: St. Mary's Church Collection
Notes: c. 1945; these are "the gates to service drive off Argyle Rd. for the Hiram H. Walker estate across the street on north side of St. Mary’s Gate east of Devonshire Rd. Note address number ‘823’ which remains address of the coach house property today." The photo "was taken between the late 1930’s and early 1950’s after main house was demolished, overgrown vacant lot visible beyond including entry cairns off Devonshire seen through snow in distance (still extant). Original coach house before conversion to residence (and much later addition) visible at right of photo. Upon conversion the service road was removed and flanking cairns relocated north to form entry gateway to the residence. The adjacent vacant lot was eventually subdivided and two contemporary homes were built in the 1950’s." (Gregory Heil)
Subject(s): Walker, Hiram H. Residence (Walkerville)
Elmcroft (House)
Argyle Road (Windsor)
St. Mary's Gate (Windsor)
Houses
Winter
Place(s): Walkerville (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image