Original St. Mary's Church


(Click to View Larger Image)
Original St. Mary's Church
Date: 1900
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: Sepia; 12 x 19 cm
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 07-011 1021 PP
Source: St. Mary's Church Collection
Notes: c. 1900; this is the original St. Mary's Church (Walkerville); the basement was used as a public school from 1870-1880; built in 1870 by Hiram Walker; it was named after his wife, Mary Walker; it stood on the south side of Riverside Drive just east of Devonshire Road from 1870 to 1904; it was dedicated on January 8th, 1871; Methodist services were held from 1870 to 1872, then it closed; reopened as St. Mary's Anglican in 1874. Only place of worship in Walkerville until 1892 when Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church opened; extensive repairs took place in 1885; razed in 1904 when the new St. Mary's memorial church was opened.
Subject(s): St. Mary's Church, First (Walkerville)
Churches
Schools
Place(s): Walkerville (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image