Cowan House


(Click to View Larger Image)
Cowan House
Date: 1930
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w; 25x20 cm; reproduction c. 1965
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 08-022; 17
Acc. No. 13-012, Box 11, 3552 PP
Source: Walkerville Times Collection
Notes: c. 1930; at 3118 Sandwich Street West; on front: "Cowan House; editor of Canadian Emigrant Paper 1809; present site of Zoli Furniture; Georgian architecture; French Canadian influence with double chimneys at ends of house"; believed to be the second oldest existing building in Sandwich, after the Duff-Baby House. Built c. 1806-1809, it was originally owned by John McGregor. In 1831-1832, it was purchased by John Cowan, publisher of the Canadian Emigrant and Western District Advertiser. The newspaper is believed to have been published in the house; original at the Windsor Community Museum, P6258b
Subject(s): McGregor Cowan House (Sandwich)
Houses
McGregor, John Residence (Sandwich)
Cowan, John Residence (Sandwich)
Canadian Emigrant And Western District Advertiser (Newspaper)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Place(s): Sandwich (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image