Sandwich Street, Windsor, in 1863


(Click to View Larger Image)
Sandwich Street, Windsor, in 1863
Date: 1863
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w
Source: The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 81
Notes: c. 1863; looking east along Sandwich Street (Riverside Drive) from Ouellette Avenue; moving right to left: Ashley And Silkes; Ouellette And Langlois (ground floor); Record Printing Company (upstairs) - their newspaper files all destroyed in the 1871 fire; Cameron And Thorburn's Store (3 storey building) on ground floor - later Bartlet, MacDonald And Gow; the first house with the peaked roof was the original International Hotel (although in this photograph it is still the Windsor Saloon with rooms above); there is a sign for Johnson, T. N.; also the British Commercial Bank, and a church to the left; "Standing on the street is Joseph F. Ouellette's bus and his faithful horses, White Dick and Black Mag. This was the mode of travel between Sandwich and Windsor before the introduction of the horse car." (page 81)
Subject(s): Commercial Buildings
Stores
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Ouellette Avenue (Windsor)
Cameron And Thorburn (Windsor)
Record Printing Company (Windsor)
International Hotel (Windsor)
Windsor Saloon (Windsor)
Horses
Carriages
Bartlet, MacDonald And Gow (Windsor)
Wagons
Essex Record (Newspaper)
Ashley And Silkes (Windsor)
Ouellette And Langlois (Windsor)
Johnson, T. N. (Windsor)
British Commercial Bank (Windsor)
Banks
Churches
Ouellette, Joseph F. (Windsor)
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image