Cowan Homestead
Creator(s): 
Hamilton, W. B.
Year: 
1909
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 128
Notes: 
c. 1909; photo by W. B. Hamilton; located at the corner of Bedford Street (now 3118 Sandwich Street) and Detroit Street; a horse and carriage are out front; Georgian architecture; French Canadian influence with double chimneys at ends of house; believed to be the second oldest existing building in Sandwich, after the Duff-Baby House; built c. 1806-1809, it was originally owned by John McGregor. In 1831-1832, it was purchased by John Cowan, publisher of the Canadian Emigrant and Western District Advertiser. The newspaper is believed to have been published in the house;
Subject(s): 
Cowan, John Residence (Sandwich)
Houses
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Detroit Street (Windsor)
Horses
Carriages
McGregor, John Residence (Sandwich)
Place(s): 
Sandwich (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1