Vendome Hotel
Year: 
1909
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 120
Notes: 
c. 1909; located on the east side of Bedford Street next to what is now Mackenzie Hall; the original building on this site was built in 1810 as a residence for James Wood. In 1841, it was already known as the Western Hotel and was owned by a Mrs. Hawkins. It was bought in 1852 by Cyrus Dobson and was sometimes called the Dobson House. Judges used it as a quasi-headquarters. In the late 1860s, it was purchased by James Alexander Stuart and became the Stuart Hotel. He demolished this building and built a new one in 1875. He moved into the hotel in 1876 and lived there until his death in 1894. In 1909, the hotel was owned by Ignace Langlois and was known as the Vendome Hotel. It operated as a hotel well into the 1920s and in 1931 was being leased by the County of Essex for use as legal offices.
Subject(s): 
Vendome Hotel (Sandwich)
Hotels
Western Hotel (Sandwich)
Wood, James, Residence (Sandwich)
Stuart Hotel (Sandwich)
Government Buildings
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Dobson House Hotel (Sandwich)
Place(s): 
Sandwich (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1