Title: 
Drilling The Awkward Squad
Year: 
1838
Type(s): 
Illustration
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 110
Notes: 
c. 1838; "In front of the Old Stone Barracks, lot 9, west side of Bedford Street, Sandwich [at Huron Street]. The last detachment of British Regulars that occupied this building was the 24th Regiment of Foot. The building was also used at different times for public and grammar school purposes." The stone barracks were built in 1814 (possibly earlier in 1808?) and demolished about 1868; site of Western District Grammar School (established 1808) and later Sandwich Public School and General Brock Public School.
Subject(s): 
Barracks
Military
Military Buildings
War of 1812
British 24th Regiment
Schools
General Brock Public School (Windsor)
Western District Grammar School (Sandwich)
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Huron Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Public School
Place(s): 
Windsor (Ontario)
Sandwich (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1