Fortified Barracks, Sandwich, In 1837-1838
Year: 
1838
Type(s): 
Illustration
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 64
Notes: 
Looking west along Bedford Street (now Sandwich Street) from Huron Street; "showing the covered enclosure of hewn square timber which surrounded the present school grounds, lot 9, southwest corner of Huron and Bedford Streets. Inside of this enclosure was a large stone barracks and other buildings for the sheltering of the troops and the storing of munitions of war. The stone barracks itself (not shown in picture) was built in 1814 (possibly earlier in 1808) and removed about the year 1868."; site of the Western District Grammar School (established 1808), later Sandwich Public School and General Brock Public School; St. John's Church is on the left.
Subject(s): 
Barracks
Military Buildings
War of 1812
Schools
Western District Grammar School (Sandwich)
General Brock Public School (Windsor)
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Huron Street (Windsor)
St. John's Church (Sandwich)
Churches
Sandwich Public School
Place(s): 
Windsor (Ontario)
Sandwich (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1