Title: 
First Brick Court House And Jail
Creator(s): 
Year: 
1866
Publisher: 
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Identifier(s): 
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 86
Notes: 
c. 1866; "Erected about the year 1800. During the Fenian troubles of 1866 and 1870, it was used part of the time as a barracks for the militia. The soldiers in the picture are some of the Quebec Rifles stationed in Sandwich at that time."; it was a square red building surrounded by a pallisade of cedar posts; located on the south side of Bedford Street (now Sandwich Street), just south of Mackenzie Hall (the new court house built in 1855); it was demolished in 1870-1871. A new large block stone prison with stone surrounding walls was built on the site.
Subject(s): 
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Court House, Old (Sandwich)
Essex County Jail, Old (Sandwich)
Jails
Government Buildings
Fenian Raids
Military
Quebec Rifles
Place(s): 
Windsor (Ontario)
Sandwich (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1