Title: 
Original St. Mary's Church
Year: 
1900
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
Sepia; 12 x 19 cm
Identifier(s): 
Acc. No. 07-011 1021 PP
Source: 
St. Mary's Church Collection
Notes: 
c. 1900; this is the original St. Mary's Church (Walkerville); the basement was used as a public school from 1870-1880; built in 1870 by Hiram Walker; it was named after his wife, Mary Walker; it stood on the south side of Sandwich Street (now Riverside Drive) just east of Devonshire Road from 1870 to 1904; it was dedicated on January 8th, 1871; Methodist services were held from 1870 to 1872, then it closed; reopened as St. Mary's Anglican in 1874. Only place of worship in Walkerville until 1892 when Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church opened; extensive repairs took place in 1885; razed in 1904 when the new St. Mary's Memorial church was opened.
Subject(s): 
St. Mary's Church, First (Walkerville)
Churches
Schools
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Riverside Drive (Windsor)
Place(s): 
Walkerville (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1