Title: 
Car No. 104
Year: 
1909
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 84
Notes: 
"One of the elegantly equipped electric motor cars of the Sandwich, Windsor and Amherstburg Railway of today. It is one of the 130 horse power variety, with smoker attached. The half-tone is from a snapshot taken at the Court House switch while the car was on its way with a load of passengers, bound for Amherstburg and intermediate points. Conductor Paul Major and Motorman Joseph Sullivan were in charge"; looking north?; the Windsor to Sandwich route was the first electric streetcar route in this region. It began in 1891; before that the route was mainly covered by a horse car (a car on tracks, but pulled by horses) from 1873-1891. However, there were a few pre-1891 experiments with electric cars. The route ran mainly along London Street (now University Avenue); streetcar no. 104
Subject(s): 
Streetcars
Sandwich, Windsor, And Amherstburg Railway Company (Windsor)
Bedford Street (Sandwich)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Major, Paul
Sullivan, Joseph
Place(s): 
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Bedford Street (Sandwich)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1