Assumption Mission House


(Click to View Larger Image)
Assumption Mission House
Date: 1901
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: Sepia
Identifier(s): P7558
Source: Windsor Community Museum
Notes: Shows the rear of the Huron Mission House which was located on the north side of London Street (now University Avenue), just east of the Priest's Walk, a path that ran north-south from Assumption Church down to the river. The Mission House faced the Detroit River. In April 1900, the E. Girardot Wine Company purchased the property. They built a wine cellar building (completed 1902) just behind the Mission House, facing onto London Street. The Mission House was moved a few hundred feet to the southwest. It burned down in 1912. In this photograph, the foundation for the wine cellar is being built; no .tiff file available.
Subject(s): Jesuit Missions
Jesuit Mission House
Houses
Log Cabins
London Street (Windsor)
University Avenue (Windsor)
Girardot Wine Company (Sandwich)
Wineries
Girardot, Ernest
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Sandwich (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image