Girardot Wine Company Cellars
|Girardot Wine Company Cellars|
Jules Robinet: "Mr. Sandwich", 1858-1942 by Michael G. Moosberger. M.A. Thesis, University of Windsor, Dept. of History, 1983.
This building was completed in 1902. It was located roughly on the northwest corner of London Street (now University Avenue) and what is now Vista Court. It was built just in front of the old Jesuit Mission House (which faced the river). The Girardot Wine Company moved the Mission House a few hundred feet to the southwest. In late 1902, Ernest Girardot was pushed out of his company by the other shareholders. In 1910, an addition costing $1,000 was built. The company continued to operate until about 1912 (according to the City directories). The building was vacant for a few years. In 1916, there was speculation that the company/building/land would be purchased by auto or steel interests. It seems that by 1919 (possibly earlier), the building had been demolished (City directories).
Girardot Wine Company (Sandwich)
London Street (Windsor)
Vista Court (Windsor)
Jesuit Mission House
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1