Title: 
General Store Of John Spiers
Year: 
1905
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 41
Notes: 
"Northeast corner of Mill and Bedford Streets. The home of the post office from 1885 to June 1, 1907."; also the Telegraph Office. John Spiers was appointed Postmaster on August 8th, 1885 (Source: Township of Sandwich). However, other sources suggest this building became the post office in 1888. Prior to this, the store was owned by G. W. (George Washington) Mason. He operated the store from the mid-1860s. On October 8th, 1871, the Mason Store/Building was destroyed by fire, along with many other buildings in Sandwich. It was re-built immediately and opened for business a few months later.
Subject(s): 
Spiers, John, General Store (Sandwich)
Stores
Post Office, 1885 (Sandwich)
Government Buildings
Mill Street (Windsor)
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Commercial Buildings
Mason, G. W., General Store (Sandwich)
Place(s): 
Sandwich (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1