Title: 
Scene On Bedford Street, Sandwich, During The Fenian Troubles On The Essex Frontier
Year: 
1866
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w
Source: 
The Township of Sandwich: Past and Present (1909) by Frederick Neal. Page 36
Notes: 
c. 1866; "Published by the kindness of Thomas A. McKee"; photo taken by a Mr. Henry; shows the Western Hotel, the new Jail and Court House, the old brick jail and court house, the Registry Office, and St. John's Church (on the east side of Bedford Street); the Western Hotel building was built in 1810 as a residence for James Wood. In 1841, it was already known as the Western Hotel and was owned by a Mrs. Hawkins. It was bought in 1852 by Cyrus Dobson and was sometimes called the Dobson House. Judges used it as a quasi-headquarters. In the late 1860s, it was purchased by James Alexander Stuart and became the Stuart Hotel. He demolished this building and built a new one in 1875. In 1876, he moved into the hotel and lived there until his death in 1894. In 1909, the hotel was owned by Ignace Langlois and was known as the Vendome Hotel. It operated as a hotel well into the 1920s and in 1931 was being leased by the County of Essex for use as legal offices.
Subject(s): 
Western Hotel (Sandwich)
Wood, James, Residence (Sandwich)
Stuart Hotel (Sandwich)
Vendome Hotel (Sandwich)
Hotels
Court House (Sandwich)
Mackenzie Hall (Sandwich)
Essex County Jail (Sandwich)
Jails
Government Buildings
Registry Office, Old (Sandwich)
Military
Fenian Raids
Bedford Street (Windsor)
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
St. John's Church (Sandwich)
Churches
Dobson House Hotel (Sandwich)
Place(s): 
Sandwich (Ontario)
Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1