Title: 
J. L. Hudson Company
Year: 
1945
Type(s): 
Postcard
Language: 
English
Source: 
Mike Skreptak Collection; Dexter Box
Notes: 
c. 1945; was founded in 1881; moved to the corner of Woodward Avenue and Gratiot Avenue in 1891. The original building at this location was demolished in 1923; the newer building was begun in 1911 and added to until 1946; it was the tallest department store in the world; it closed in 1983 and was demolished in 1998; on back: "The J. L. Hudson Company was founded in 1881 by Joseph Lowthian Hudson. The first Hudson store was a men's and boys' clothing store. Hudson's today is one of the world's largest and finest department stores."; on the front: "The J. L. Hudson Company owns the largest American flag in the world. It measures 90 feet by 230 feet and weighs 900 pounds. The width of stripes is 7 feet, size of stars, 5 feet. The flag is displayed on Flag Day and other special occasions, weather permitting."
Subject(s): 
Hudson's Department Store (Detroit)
Stores
Gratiot Avenue (Detroit)
Woodward Avenue (Detroit)
Flags
Hudson, Joseph Lowthian
Holidays
Place(s): 
Detroit (Michigan)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2