Title: 
Penobscot Building
Year: 
1936
Publisher: 
Sapirstein Greeting Card Company
Type(s): 
Postcard
Identifier(s): 
D-4689
Source: 
Mike Skreptak Collection; Ephemera Box; From: Greetings From Detroit Michigan, 1936; souvenir folder of postcards
Notes: 
This is officially the Greater Penobscot Building. It was designed by Wirt C. Rowland and opened in 1928. It is located at 645 Griswold Street (southwest corner of Griswold Street and West Fort Street). It is connected to two smaller Penobscot buildings: a 13 floor building constructed in 1905 and a 24 floor building constructed in 1916. Together, they are all called the Penobscot Block; the brown building to the left is the Ford Building (615 Griswold Street); it was designed by Daniel Burnham and completed in 1908; the white building to the far left (on the southwest corner of Griswold Street and Congress Street) is the Buhl Building; it is located at 535 Griswold Street; it was designed by Wirt C. Rowland and opened in 1925; the building to the right is the Dime Building (now called Chrysler House). It is located at 719 Griswold Street, was designed by Daniel Burnham, and opened in 1912.
Subject(s): 
Penobscot Block (Detroit)
Greater Penobscot Building (Detroit)
Commercial Buildings
Griswold Street (Detroit)
Rowland, Wirt C., Architect
Ford Building (Detroit)
Burnham, Daniel, Architect
Dime Building (Detroit)
Chrysler House (Detroit)
Fort Street (Detroit)
Congress Street (Detroit)
Buhl Building (Detroit)
Rowland, Wirt C., Architect
Place(s): 
Detroit (Michigan)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1