|YMCA, Telephone Building, And Detroit Athletic Club|
Wolverine News Co.
Mike Skreptak Collection; Ephemera Box; From: Detroit's Largest Industries And Hotels, c. 1918, souvenir folder of postcards
c. 1918; postmarked 1920; "The Detroit Athletic Club is regarded throughout the country as the "last word" in modern clubs. Its clubhouse occupies an entire city block bounded by Madison Avenue, John R., Cross and Randolph Streets. It contains every luxury and convenience for its member, including gymnasium, swimming pool, turkish baths, handball and squash courts, bowling alleys, sleeping rooms, dining room, library, reading room, billiard room, lounge, etc. It is one of the show places of Detroit, being, in reality, the most classic building in the city. It represents an investment of over $1,500,000."; The Detroit Athletic Club (241 Madison Street) was designed by Albert Kahn, and opened in 1915; the building to the left at 163 Madison Avenue is now called the Madison Office Building; it was headquarters to the Home Telephone Company of Detroit, later the Michigan State Telephone Company; the Y.M.C.A. is the brown building on the left, in the background.
Detroit Athletic Club
Madison Avenue (Detroit)
John R. Street (Detroit)
Cross Street (Detroit)
Randolph Street (Detroit)
Kahn, Albert, Architect
Madison Office Building (Detroit)
Home Telephone Company of Detroit
Michigan State Telephone Company (Detroit)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1