Old Mariners' Church, On The Civic Center, Detroit.
|Old Mariners' Church, On The Civic Center, Detroit.|
Mike Skreptak Collection; Dexter Box
c. 1960; "Founded 1842, Erected 1849, Relocated and Restored 1955"; the church was founded as a mission to Great Lake mariners following a land bequest by Julia Anderson; later it became a stop on the Underground Railroad; in 1955 it was moved to 170 East Jefferson Avenue to avoid demolition; another set of renovations was completed in 1971; originally an Episcopal community, since 1992 it has been an independent congregation; every November the church holds a memorial service for those lost at sea.
Mariners Church (Detroit)
Jefferson Avenue (Detroit)
Civic Center (Detroit)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2