Woodward Ave., Detroit, Mich.
A. C. Dietsche
Mike Skreptak Collection; Dexter Box
c. 1910; shows the Campus Martius Park area of downtown Detroit; the building on the left is the 14-story Majestic Building located at 1001 Woodward Avenue; it was designed by Daniel Burnham & Co. for the Mabley & Company Department Store chain and opened in 1896; after 1907 it was used as an office building; it was demolished in 1962 and replaced by the First Federal Building which was completed in 1965; further to the left, a corner of the Old City Hall is visible; on the right is the Detroit Opera House (central building) with the Wonderland and Temple Theatre to the right; the Merrill fountain is located in the landscaped triangle in front of the Opera House; in 1925 when Woodward Avenue was widened, the fountain was moved to Palmer Park; in the forefront on the right side is the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, a Civil War memorial; "Woodward Avenue enjoyes the unusual distinction of being both Detroit's leading business and residence street. It is named in honor of Judge Woodward, one of Detroit's foremost citizens in the pioneer days, and stretches approximately north and south. At its foot are the ferry docks where boats leave regularly for Windsor, Ont., Belle Isle, and Bois Blanc Island."
Woodward Avenue (Detroit)
Majestic Building (Detroit)
Detroit Opera House
Wonderland and Temple Theatre (Detroit)
City Hall, Old (Detroit)
Merrill Fountain (Detroit)
Burnham, Daniel, Architect
Soldiers and Sailors Monument (Detroit)
Campus Martius Park (Detroit)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2