Canning Factory, Essex, Ont.
|Canning Factory, Essex, Ont.|
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 2
Postmarked 1911; addressed to Miss Rhea Couttes; This building, which housed the canning factory c. 1911, was originally called the Essex Centre Manufacturing Company, and then, the Essex Industrial Works. The building was erected in 1884. Harrington and Milne, Engine And Boiler Works, provided power to other tenants in the building. There was a foundry in the rear. The building contained the Essex Free Press Steam Printing House (north end); the Essex Free Press printing office appears to have been on the 1st floor - at the near end (first door). There is a sign in the window. Previous newspapers, e.g. The Liberal, were also printed here. The building was located on the east side of Talbot Street, between Gordon Avenue and Arthur Avenue. The Canning Factory may just have been one of the tenants.
Talbot Street (Essex)
Essex Canning Company (Essex)
Essex Industrial Works (Essex)
Essex Centre Manufacturing Company
Harrington and Milne, Engine and Boiler Works (Essex)
Essex Free Press (Newspaper)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2