Henry And Edsel Ford Auditorium, Detroit, Mich.
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 2
c. 1955; the Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium was built in 1955 and opened in 1956; designed by the firm Odell, Hewlett and Luckenbach, it was located at the base of Auditorium Drive; it was home to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra for 33 years and also housed other musical and cultural activities; while it had a state-of-the-art recording system when it opened, the DSO eventually returned to its original home (Orchestra Hall) in 1989 because the poor acoustics in the hall could not be improved; thereafter, the hall had little use and was eventually demolished in July 2011 as part of Detroit's waterfront redesign plans; the postcard image shows the building as originally envisioned; addressed to The Price is Right by Mrs. Ida Boliney; "Part of Detroit's impressive riverfront Civic Center, the Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium is the home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and of other Detroit musical and cultural activities. The auditorium cost $4,800,000 of which $2,500,000 was contributed by the Ford family, the Ford Motor Company and the Ford Lincoln and Mercury dealers of the nation."
Henry and Edsel Ford Auditorium (Detroit)
Detroit Symphony Orchestra
Auditorium Drive (Detroit)
Odell, Hewlett, And Luckenbach, Architects
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2