Street Scene, Essex, Ont.
|Street Scene, Essex, Ont.|
NCo / T. J. Stillman
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 2
Postmarked 1907; addressed to Miss Edna Phipps. The building with the turret is Essex Town Hall (upstairs); it was shared with the Odd Fellows (downstairs); it was designed by John Alexander Maycock and completed in the Summer of 1898; the building to the right is the Essex Industrial Works, formerly known as the Essex Centre Manufacturing Company. It was erected in 1884. Harrington and Milne, Engine And Boiler Works, provided power to other tenants in the building. There was a foundry in the rear. The building contained the Essex Free Press Steam Printing House (north end); the Essex Free Press printing office appears to have been on the 1st floor - at the near end (first door). There is a sign in the window. Previous newspapers, e.g. The Liberal, were also printed here. The building was located on the east side of Talbot Street, between Gordon Avenue and Arthur Avenue.
Town Hall (Essex)
Maycock, John Alexander, Architect
Essex Industrial Works (Essex)
Essex Centre Manufacturing Company
Harrington and Milne, Engine and Boiler Works (Essex)
Essex Free Press (Newspaper)
Talbot Street (Essex)
Odd Fellows (Essex)
Odd Fellows Temple (Essex)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2