Roman Catholic Church, Essex, Ont., Canada
Valentine & Sons Publishing Co. Ltd.
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 2
Postmarked 1916; Essex, Ontario's first Roman Catholic church was built in 1887 and was located at the corner of Russell and Centre Streets; originally called St. John's Church, the church's name was changed to Holy Name of Jesus in 1931; in 1942 the original church was demolished and a new church built (with materials from the original church) at 146 Talbot Street South; in 1973, that church was subsequently demolished and a new church constructed on the same site; an addition to the church in 2000 added much needed space, including a parish hall, offices, meeting rooms and a kitchen; the postcard is addressed to Mrs. C.F. Larkins; special thanks to Wendy Cunningham of HNJ parish for the information provided.
St. John's Church (Essex)
Holy Name of Jesus Church (Essex)
Russell Street (Essex)
Centre Street (Essex)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2