|King St., Chatham, Canada.|
Stedman Bros. Ltd.
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 2
C. 1907; looking west down King Street West from just east of 6th Street; the Garner House (or Garner Hotel) is visible on the southwest corner (left side of the postcard); it was built between 1872 and 1880 and was owned by Judge John Garner; the hotel and its 100 rooms had recently been restored when, on December 18th, 1929, it burned to the ground following a grease fire in the kitchen; it was rebuilt and opened in 1931 as the William Pitt Hotel; in the distance (at the bend in the road, north side of the street) the Gordon Store is visible at 125 King Street; founded by William Gordon in 1884, the dry goods store was operative for over 40 years, closing shortly before the depression.
King Street (Chatham)
Sixth Street (Chatham)
Garner House Hotel (Chatham)
Gordon Store (Chatham)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2