River Thames, Chatham, Canada.
Mike Skreptak Collection; Box 1
c. 1910; the City of Chatham steamer, pictured on the postcard, was the first of three popular steamers owned by the Chatham Navigation Company that made regular runs between Chatham, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan via the Thames River; it made its maiden voyage on May 24, 1889 and was sold in 1912; it cost $25,000.00, traveled at 16 miles per hour and could transport 800 passengers; the City of Chatham steamer was replaced by the larger Ossifrage in 1912 which was active until 1920; the Ossifgage was replaced by the Thousand Islander in 1920, but by then, car travel was becoming more popular and steamer travel between the two cities ended in the 1920s; also pictured is the General Hospital, and Nurses' Home; the hospital opened in 1893 with a 20 bed capacity; the Nurses' Residence was built sometime after 1903.
Thames River (Ontario)
City of Chatham (Ship)
Chatham General Hospital
Nurses Home (Chatham)
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2