Mario's Tavern



(Click to View Larger Image)
Mario's Tavern
Publisher: Sterling Photos
Date: 1952
Type(s): Postcard
Language: English
Identifier(s): 67900
Source: Mike Skreptak Collection; Red Binder
Notes: C. 1952; "Mario's Tavern, 755 Ouellette St., Windsor, Ontario, Tel. 4-3392. Windsor's most beautiful dining lounge. Catering to banquets, weddings, social affairs, club meetings, birthday parties, etc. Mario's have for your enjoyment the best entertainment nightly, specializing in Italian foods. 23 years in the food business in Windsor, Ont." Mike Mario, Eugene Walters and Frank Cundari opened the first "Mario's Lunch" in the British American Hotel in 1929. Mario's moved to 493 Ouellette Avenue in the early 1930s. The building pictured on this postcard was built by architect Garnet Andrew McElroy in 1948. In 1965, Mario's was sold to Kees Roozen. It closed by 1982 and was sold to Pit Martin, a former hockey player, who turned it into a sports bar.
Subject(s): Mario's Tavern (Windsor)
Restaurants
Ouellette Avenue (Windsor)
Taverns
McElroy, Garnet Andrew (Architect)
Place(s): Windsor, Ontario
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library.
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image