The Salvation Army Grace Hospital, Windsor, Ontario



(Click to View Larger Image)
The Salvation Army Grace Hospital, Windsor, Ontario
Date: 1950
Type(s): Postcard
Language: English
Source: MIke Skreptak Collection; Red Binder
Notes: c. 1950; the former Ellis home on the southwest corner of London Street (now University Avenue) and Crawford Street was purchased by the Salvation Army in 1918 (339 Crawford Avenue); at that time it had 28 beds; in 1922 a second wing was added increasing the number of beds to 122; in 1942 a south wing was opened, and in 1945 a north wing was built; in June 1960, a fire destroyed a large section of the hospital and a new five story wing was opened in September 1966; a west wing was opened in September 1985; Grace Hospital merged with Hotel Dieu Hospital on February 1, 2004, a few years before it closed permanently. It was demolished in 2013.
Subject(s): Grace Hospital (Windsor)
Hospitals
Crawford Street (Windsor)
London Street (Windsor)
University Avenue (Windsor)
Salvation Army (Windsor)
Ellis Residence (Windsor)
Houses
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image