Fire Tug "James Battle" in action, Detroit, Mich.
|Fire Tug "James Battle" in action, Detroit, Mich.|
Detroit News Co.
Mike Skreptak collection; Black Binder 4
c. 1915; named after James Battle who was the first Detroit Fire Department Fire Chief during the 1870s. The James Battle fire tug was built by the Detroit Shipbuilding company in 1900 and launched as Detroit's second fire tug in 1901. The James Battle was used as a fire tug on the Detroit River until 1941. At this time, the boat was bought by McAllister Towing and Salvage Incorporated company in Montreal and used as a tug boat to tow larger vessels. In 1959 the towing company agreed to loan the former fire boat to the Montreal Fire Department when its services were needed. The James Battle continued to service as both a tug boat and fire tug until 1992.
James Battle (Ship)
Detroit Shipbuilding Company
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1 , Tiff Image 2