Windsor Castle


(Click to View Larger Image)
Windsor Castle
Date: 1870
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w; 25x20 cm
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 13-012, Box 11, 3551 PP
Source: Walkerville Times Collection
Notes: "Windsor owes its name to a pioneer merchant, James Dougall. At a meeting in Hutton's Tavern in 1836 [or 1835], prominent citizens picked the name Windsor from suggestions, including Bellevue, Richmond and Babylon. The name caught on immediately and the owner of Hutton's Tavern liked it so well he renamed his hostelry Windsor Castle Hotel [in 1838]." (Windsor Star); this may not be true as S. T. Probett seems to have opened the Windsor Castle in 1838, before Mr. Hutton came to town (Essex County Historical Society Papers and Addresses, vol. 3); was located on the south side of Sandwich Street, three buildings east of Ferry Street; a sign for Kun Sing City Laundry is also visible; c. 1870
Subject(s): Windsor Castle Hotel (Windsor)
Hotels
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
Ferry Street (Windsor)
Hutton's Tavern (Windsor)
Dougall, James
Kun Sing City Laundry (Windsor)
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image