Title: 
Huron Mission House
Year: 
1895
Type(s): 
Photograph
Physical Description: 
b&w; 25x20 cm
Identifier(s): 
Acc. No. 13-012, Box 11, 3545 PP
Source: 
Walkerville Times Collection
Notes: 
Photograph c. 1895; on back: "Huron Mission House, opposite to Assumption Church; Jesuit Mission; French Architecture; slope roof and dormers, two chimneys, interior wall between chimneys, weatherboarding and neat log exterior; note end joining of logs at corners"; looking southwest, basically at the front of the building; it faced the Detroit River; you can see where the east wing was demolished in the late 1880s/early 1890s; it was built for the Jesuits c. 1747; also served as a convent, a school, and a farm; was located on the north side of London Street (now University Avenue), just east of the Priest's Walk, a path that ran north-south from Assumption Church down to the river. In the late 1880s/early 1890s, the east wing (possibly an earlier addition) was demolished. In April 1900, the E. Girardot Wine Company purchased the property. They built a wine cellar building (completed 1902) just behind the Mission House, likely facing onto London Street (see photo at the Windsor Community Museum). The Mission House was somewhat in the way, so according to the Essex Historical Society papers, it was moved a few hundred feet to the southwest (likely to the west side of the Priest's Walk). In June 1912, the Mission House was struck by lightning and burned down.
Subject(s): 
Houses
Jesuit Mission House
Jesuit Missions
London Street (Windsor)
Log Cabins
University Avenue (Windsor)
Convents
Place(s): 
Windsor (Ontario)
Sandwich (Ontario)
Rights: 
Public Domain
Repository: 
University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image(s):
Click links to download Tiff images: Tiff Image 1