Ambassador Bridge Construction: Footwalks And Cable Spinning Equipment


(Click to View Larger Image)
Ambassador Bridge Construction: Footwalks And Cable Spinning Equipment
Date: 1928
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w; 20x13 cm
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 13-012, Box 11, 3521 PP
Source: Walkerville Times Collection
Notes: Construction on the Ambassador Bridge across the Detroit River officially began on May 7th, 1927; it was built by the McClintic-Marshall Company (Pittsburgh) for the Detroit International Bridge Company; it opened to traffic on November 15th, 1929; on the back: "The travelling wheel in the foreground pulls a bight of wire from anchorage to anchorage, thus laying two wires at each trip. 218 wires make one strand and 37 strands go to each cable."; date: probably October 1928; the photograph, looking south, gives an aerial view of Assumption College (now the University of Windsor). Running east-west, Sandwich Street is visible; then London Street (now University Avenue); running north-south, from left to right: Patricia Road; Huron Church Road is just left of the bridge, Indian Road, just to the right of the bridge, and then Rosedale Avenue.
Subject(s): Ambassador Bridge (Windsor Detroit)
Bridges
McClintic-Marshall Company (Pittsburgh)
Detroit International Bridge Company (Detroit)
Detroit River
Construction
Assumption Church (Windsor)
Churches
Assumption College (Windsor)
University of Windsor
Universities
Sandwich Street (Windsor)
London Street (Windsor)
Patricia Road (Windsor)
Huron Church Road (Windsor)
Indian Road (Windsor)
Rosedale Avenue (Windsor)
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Detroit (Michigan)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image