Ambassador Bridge Construction: Anchorage Grillage And Eyebars Before Placing Concrete


(Click to View Larger Image)
Ambassador Bridge Construction: Anchorage Grillage And Eyebars Before Placing Concrete
Date: 1928
Type(s): Photograph
Physical Description: b&w; 20x13 cm
Identifier(s): Acc. No. 13-012, Box 11, 3518 PP
Source: Walkerville Times Collection
Notes: Construction on the Ambassador Bridge across the Detroit River officially began on May 7th, 1927; it was built by the McClintic-Marshall Company (Pittsburgh) for the Detroit International Bridge Company; it opened to traffic on November 15th, 1929; "Eyebars for the cables, U.S. anchorage, June 2, 1928" (Ambassador Bridge / Philip Masson, page 101); Merlo, Merlo, And Ray was the company that provided the aggregate for the concrete placed in the abutments (Richard Merlo); the offices of the American Twist Drill And Tool Company can be seen in the background.
Subject(s): Ambassador Bridge (Windsor Detroit)
Bridges
McClintic-Marshall Company (Pittsburgh)
Detroit International Bridge Company (Detroit)
Detroit River
Construction
Merlo, Merlo, And Ray (Windsor)
American Twist Drill And Tool Company (Detroit)
Place(s): Windsor (Ontario)
Detroit (Michigan)
Rights: Public Domain
Repository: University of Windsor. Leddy Library
Tiff Image: Click to download original TIFF image